The Fun Dog Trick Guide: High Five / Paw 21/07/09
Fun Dog Trick GuideFun Dog Trick Guide: The CrawlThe Fun Dog Trick Guide: FetchThe Fun Dog Trick Guide: Play deadThe Fun Dog Trick Guide: High Five / PawTeaching Your Dog ...
- Fun Dog Trick Guide: The Crawl
- The Fun Dog Trick Guide: Fetch
- The Fun Dog Trick Guide: Play dead
- The Fun Dog Trick Guide: High Five / Paw
- Teaching Your Dog that Good Means Good.
- The Fun Dog Trick Guide: The Lie Down
- Training your puppy to stay on command.
- Training my puppy to sit.
- Training your puppy to understand its name.
- Training your puppy to retrieve
Ever wondered how to get your puppy or dog to give you their paw on command? Training your dog to do this could not be easier and I will show you how.
Before you begin any training of any sort you must cover good means good training with your dog.
- Firstly hold a tasty treat (something smelly like hot dog) in a fist.
- Hold the hand behind your back and present it to the dog.
- Your dog will lick at your hand initially but keep a tight grip on that treat.
- It may take a few minutes but your puppy will quickly try to use its paw to get at the treat.
- The instant your pup lifts its paw say ‘good’.
- Don’t give it the treat in that hand but feed it another from your other hand.
- Repeat until your pup is putting its paw on your hand, saying ‘good’ every time it gets closer.
- Think of it as a game of hot and cold ie. your pup lifts its paw a little – good/treat, the next time you are looking for a higher raise before you tell it ‘good’ and so on until the paw is on your hand.
- Now start giving the ‘high five’ or ‘paw’ command, followed by good.
- So the sequence is – paw hits hand, ‘paw’, ‘good’, treat.
- Repeat this for a few days and then remove the treat in your fist and repeat all of the above.
It really is that simple! Ask for the trick before meal times and walks to really make your dog work for its rewards, it will enjoy it! Good Luck.